The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Then you need to think of a new word
Jul 03, 2003, 10:00
The problem I have with field sytems and post alignments is archaeologists (around here anyway) seem to think they are unimportant. very very few of them get investigated, and even though the pit alignments at Thornborouigh (single pit alignments that is) contained burials, charcoal from posts, and in some cases pits were 3.5m wide and 1.5m deep (quite a large post!) the accepted interpretation is still that they are simple field boudaries and not worthy of protection.

However, I am not arguing against archaeologists they are one very important tool in the overall toolkit. My points are aimed at fellow antiquarian's and they are specifically:

1. Do not wait for the world of archaeology to deliver the goods, in Britain at least, archaeology is typically a random set of investigations done in a hurry in advance of development.

2. Do not underestimate how valuable your own interpretation is, often it is the wider landscape that is overlooked, in many cases the features that you spot are not logged on the SMR and do not get any attention, identifying features, includes most of the tasks performed in a typical desktop survey, it is not simply "having a look".

3. Do not over estimate the accuracy and thoroughness of archaeological research into the site/area in question. If a feature is not mentioned, that is more likely to the archaeolgist not having time/funds rather than it not being important.

My arguments are about how important modern antiquarian's could be, and they should not be construed as a criticism of archaeologists in any way. If I make a seemingly negative point, it is to emphasise an "antiquarian opportunity" rather than to try and undermine the importance of this profession.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index