The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stupid Yank
Jul 02, 2003, 20:54
Shestu, it's a linguistic/culture clash. It was meant entirely light-heartedly. See the wink? It's typical of the way the British pull each others legs. Ask everyone else here. I'm the stupid one for not realizing that humour often doesn't travel on the internet. Here's the post I was preparing, as you were being upset. You'll see that I'm personally immune to real insults, let alone jokey ones, and that was part of the background to my error....

Seriously, I really don’t think it would work for me, at least. I love debate where everyone knows, in the end, that no-one knows, so we’re all equal and well matched. And I love debate about stuff like this where I passionately would like to know an answer, because I can road-test my ideas by running them against everyone else’s and maybe get a bit closer. And I hate the glassy-eyed nods of agreement when I hold forth on the subject of aesthetics in a loud voice in the queue in my local chip shop! The only people that are likely to be able to disagree with me validly are here and they’re the only ones I want to talk to. So if someone takes my ideas and shreds them, I actually love it because they’re signalling to me they are worth talking to, and I’m going to learn something, either from them or from myself. So for goodness sake, if you’re all going to treat each others beliefs with kid gloves then I'll go along with it happily, but please make an exception in my case. I lost my ego in about 1961, at the doctor’s, so why should I need respect (why should I worry, you’re all just photons!). What I’m really here for is to know, precisely, what’s in everyone’s heads.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index