The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Spirit of Place II
Jul 02, 2003, 23:38
Can they tell me why they were there? Who they traded with? How the place sat in the wider landscape, along with the other contemporary structures and natural features?

You actually make my point with yours. Archaeologists (and not all) are often soo bogged down with the specifics of a particular site that they forget to tell you about the burial mounds next door. The classic is the track leading away from the structure - how many try to trace it?

All structures have complexity, some of the complexity is absolutely fascinating, rarely, on it's own does that knowledge provide great insite to the wider context of that structure.

I have loads of detailed site reports, they are very, very good and I would not miss them for the world. But I am talking about the contribution that we all can make, as antiquarians, with the tools available.

I found very early on, that if I waited for arcaeology to provide the answers to MY questions, I would go to the grave ignorant. OK, I may not solve all my questions, and yes I may get some thing wrong (daily) but I add to the sum of our knowledge and I think most people on this forum could also add to that knowledge.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index