The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Spirit of Place II
Jul 02, 2003, 20:29
I don't really know what to say. I am a mixture of things, some extremely factual and analytical, others more open to atmosphere.

I know that when I listen to nature, I find more out and discover more. I know that if I listen only to archaeologists, I usually miss the whole point of the site.

The first thing I try to bear in mind, is that there was nothing stupid or uncivilised about our ancient ancestors. In many ways, they understood their enviroment much better than we do ours. This is because ours changes so often, as does the way that we learn things. I therefore try to take the things they may have done seriously.

I am also am an economist, and I understand that in order to take manpower to build a large structure, one that does not appear to relate directly to the day to day activities of living, then there has to be a cost incurred, there also has to be a control structure and an economy that allows the families of those working on the structure to continue existing whilst their kin are working on those structures.

Reading Roman or Greek works, shows that by the Iron Age, people had a very advanced concept of gods and spirits, they believed that all aspects of their world were controlled by a complex mix of higher powers.

Having read Roman and Greek literature, I can see for example how important "signs" were, today we laugh at such things, yet why do we feel superior enough to judge people that we do not understand.

In my roamings I do, in many ways try to put myself in the shoes of those that have gone before. It's very difficult, since very little remains of the environment that faced the ancients, and I have very little knowledge however on a practical level this can pay great benefits. To have a settlement, you need farms, you also need trade. To have a common set of "monuments" over a widespread area you must have strong cultural links and that implies trade.

So when I visit sites, I'm looking for the wider perspective, where was the water, where were the other villages they traded with, what did they trade, what longer distance routes were likely to have been in use.

but there is also, the spiritual side to my roamings. I'm an agnostic, I don't ascribe to any particular belief, but I feel to a certain extent, spiritual, and I know that our ancestors were largely spiritual as well, this was either forced on them (in the form of a common religion) or happily accepted, either way, there is no reason to suspect otherwise. And I do have my own spiritual foibles. For example, I have animal guides. When I'm out and about, I often come accross animals in unusual places or circumstances. I find I ignore these and miss things. Hares and deer should be followed if possible. Sheep complain if you are going the wrong way, owls in close proximity tell of great things ahead (or if facing away from you, tell you to back off) I'm not saying that this is anything special, just that I tend to have all my close contact with animals at or near ancient sites, and that by following my instincts they have helped me find other things. I'm happy to be called a romantic or even a twit, I don't really care. I just know to deny such things only serves to isolate me from my own spirit.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index