Climbing on Standing Stones

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tonyh27
22 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Mar 01, 2012, 09:20
nigelswift wrote:
Scheduled monuments belong to the landowner but they are legally protected so no-one, including the owner, can damage them.

70% of land is also now subject to DEFRA Stewardship schemes whereby the landowner gets paid loads of money to ensure natural and archaeological assets are protected and loses the payments if he doesn't. If you climb on top of standing stones on land that's subject to such a scheme the farmer may not be prepared to listen to the "research" excuse. On the other hand, if you do it right and ask him and Defra in advance they'll probably agree. Simple really.

As for getting a full consensus on a Code, that's going to be impossible, as this thread shows. On the other hand, I bet 99.99% of people would say climbing the Devil's Den is a no-no so a pretty serviceable and well supported code IS perfectly possible. Indeed, one of the suggested clauses covers DD quite well - Act with respect towards the feelings and enjoyment of other visitors.

That clause will work very well for me..

It will stop people damaging the Devils seat. Damaging the banks. Keep people out of WKLB and give me better photo opportunities wherever I go.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index