The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Climbing on Standing Stones

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tonyh27
22 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 29, 2012, 18:08
I really do have problems with this respect idea..

To get to my dads grave makes it almost imposible not to step on somebody else's grave..

As somebody that probably spends far to many hours in graveyards, I am (If I wish to read an inscription or take a photo) often standing on or walking on somebodies grave. It can't be helped.. It's not about lack of respect..

If you enter the graveyard of a 800+ year old church then just about wherever you go is or was a grave...

Standing on a capstone is no worst just because it's older And I really can't see the difference between standing on the Capstone of DD or standing on WKLB or Adams Grave or any other type of barrow or burial place.

If anybody believes that standing on DD's capstone is disrespectful then thats your opinion. Doesn't mean it is disrespectful. It's just you belive it to be so..

Having said that I haven't climbed DD or any other stone and nor do I wish to.. and I don't feel a better man for it. Because there is no moral high ground here to be gained, other than in the eyes of Men/Women who wish it.. (IMO)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index