Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 18, 2012, 10:28
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Resonox wrote:

TJJ could you please clarify for me what you mean by "albeit a reconstruction"...cheers

Here's a 1910 photo of the Den
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/5451164002/

Devil's Den was the remains of a long barrow - the mound destroyed and the stones fallen. It was restored in the early part of the 20th century by a well meaning antiquary who restored to how he thought it should look. I was puzzled as to why it was the only 'portal tomb' in Wiltshire until reading the superb little book by Peter Fowler and Ian Blackwell An English Countryside Restored - The Land of Lettice Sweetapple (found in my local Tourist Information Centre and still one of the most useful reference books on the Fyfield/Overton area there is).

I just wondered if by reconstruction you meant it was "recreated" using non-original stones and did climbers over the ages cause the original knocking down. I would've thought that the renovators would've noticed rock-art especially if it is such a rarity in the area. BTW you should've voiced your opinion at the "disrespect" at the time even though you didn't feel it was harming the (reconstructed)stones, your associates might've had a little respect for your feelings and not investigated the stone quite as thoroughly in your presence.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index