The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Climbing on Standing Stones

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
948 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Jan 13, 2012, 21:54
On the subject of 'notices'..... specifically relating to upland cairns...

My general perception of the people responsible for damaging our upland cairns is that they are not morons out to destroy our heritage through mindless, wilful vandalism - but simply those who have not even considered that these cairns may be ancient.... Tim-nice-but-dim rambler sorts, who may well be horrified if the error of their ways was pointed out to them.... 'You mean I'M a criminal?' Cripes! Education, therefore, could well be the answer to saving.... or at least reducing the decline.... of those Bronze Age cairns that still exist in a reasonably recognisable state.

It is debatable whether signage could be effective owing to the extreme environmental conditions.... but highlighting the existance of Bronze Age cairns upon ramblers web-sites, in guide books etc can only be of benefit. The mountain tops of Britain are too 'out of sight, out of mind' to ever be policed. However, since your average 'just want to smash fings' vandal isn't exactly likely to climb mountains to get his kicks, I think we need to appeal to the more educated 'vandals' who do. Let's face it, any properly equipped hillsman (the loners or pairs) will, by definition, be prepared for the worst conditions possible at altitude so will have no thought of using - let alone preparing - a storm shelter. Which leaves the larger, inexperienced groups (seeking safety in numbers) as the likely culprits.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index