The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Climbing on Standing Stones

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Jan 17, 2012, 11:43
You pretty much say what I would say. As a kid I went up Silbury loads with my Dad, and being from Amesbury I spent a lot of time as a youngster trampling Sonehenge and it's environs. I probably wouldn't do that now, but honestly, what do people prefer: The access at Avebury, or the horrible control at Stonehenge?
All the sites we love are dynamic, their uses have changed over the years, and I think people need to be allowed to connect with them rather than have them wrapped in cotton wool - with the best will in the World, this will result in some damage, but I guess we have to educate people out of the worst behaviours.
As for the sites being "Sacred", - well I've always had a sense of that myself, but they don't "belong" to any particular religion (any more than they "belong" to the archaelogists), and evidence for modern pagan practice being associated with these sites in the past is scant.
We need to be a bit more inclusive, get people to love their shared history, and the fact is that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Ok, I'm ready for a good telling off now! =;o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index