Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw? Dowsing
May 25, 2012, 18:12
Resonox wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Ok, today I revisited King Arthurs Hall, a retangular banked enclosure lined internally with standing stones. Here is an aerial pic I took of most of it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/KingArthursHall24thMayAerial?authkey=Gv1sRgCMTV-_Dd7aW8zAE#5746135779312842226
There are what appear to be quite distinct shapes in the "enclosure"(for want of a better word)...there even appears to be a nice circular "browning" of the grass....as you would get if there was stone under the topsoil not allowing the grass over to get moisture from the earth....without being there is there any chance you have measurements....or did you not see these in situ...sometimes the camera picks up details the eyes miss.

On my first visit about three weeks ago I was so amazed at what I was seeing that I didn't really take it all in and I was on my way to see something else anyway. However I did pace it out at 140+ft x 60ft internally. Yesterday, aside from dealing with the dowsing side of things that my friend was doing, I took much more detail. As you enter the site from the SW corner you have stones to the left down the left or western flank. A few are upright, some are partly fallen and sloping whilst a great many are flat and either buried, partly showing or identified by a hump in the grass which is, at the moment because of the dry spell, is brown/yellowish, rather like you are indicating. The stone setting is, on the whole, like this.....a stone followed by a 2ft gap then another stone followed by a 2ft gap and so on. However, on two occasions (maybe more because of the fallen stones) there are two stones together side by side, One taller one and the other maybe a third its height.
I suppose you could say the stones visible are quite typical for what I have seen so far in this area of Bodmin Moor i.e. standard rectangular/tall slender/pointy/triangular/sloping tops all in the same manner as they are in the circles and different heights. Nothing is regular, far from it other than the irregular nature of them all generally. I mentioned in another post that Leaze circle does appear to be 'regular' and is within the same area so a researchers dream as to why?
Even now in its partly collapsed state you have the bank to the external perimeter with the stones set into the base of it internally and a further 3 or 4ft before the area of ground that has been removed to create the bank begins. This is where most of the fallen stones are lying and covered and you can't help but walk over many of them. The brown looking rough grass/reeded area to the edge of the East and western sides of the dug out area and also the northern side and the southern end in particular suggest to me a different level of depth to the 'bowl'. The dowser spoke of shelving and that would be how I see it as well although it was never discussed between us as it hit me later. The more central northern end has water on the surface and it can just be seen in the photo. The vegetation is completely different there and that must be an indication of deeper initial excavating. I had my shepherds stick with me and the northern and southern ends plus the side margins took three feet of the stick up but closer to the centre area where in was unwise to walk I could have lost it altogether.

Both myself and the dowsing lady felt completely comfortable in the 'bowl' as it has a wonderful atmosphere, but I won't go into that as it will be seen as 'imagination'.

I shot a HD video which I'll be quite happy to send you a copy off as it explains things, as I see them, as I go along. I intend to keep revisiting the Hall as it is unique I believe in the UK and should be investigated fully IMO.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index