Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trees and stones with powers to throw?

204 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw?
May 11, 2012, 07:12
Well, I was desperate to find an earring once, and I gave dowsing it a go, and I did actually find it! But that was in a very small area and could have been coincidence. Whereas my mother and I searched the usual way for a bit of jewellery on Therfield Heath once and that's massive, and we found that too retracing our steps. So I reckon those two anecdotes rather cancel each other out.

Besides, if dowsing for water really works (and I don't know how it can, but it's said my grandad used to do it, so I'm biased because I want to believe he was a rational creature) it might rely on detection of something ...er actually detectable. Because the water is a thing actually there to be detected.

Whereas, saying certain standing stones have emanations, that is an entirely different thing, that is surely entirely mystical? as what do these vibes indicate - are they something imposed on the stone or are they natural stones selected for this quality? But this quality of what exactly? I mean you can say 'some stones are naturally radioactive and some aren't' and that's something you can't detect without a geiger counter. So sensitive person X is acting like a geiger counter, detecting something real. But what's the use of sticking those in a stone circle if only 1 person in a thousand (or a thousand thousand) can detect that. I'm not convinced it's the same thing you're dealing with, water dowsing and stones.

(And, tsc, water dowsing has long been documented, for centuries (possibly even millennia?) not that that means anything necessarily of course)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index