Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trees and stones with powers to throw?

204 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw?
May 11, 2012, 17:15
Resonox wrote:
Acupuncture is not an effective cure or it would be used widely...it works for a few people perhaps in the same way a placebo works for a few people....nobody knows how something with no medicinal properties works on someone because they have been told it will work(...like the ads say, "Nothing works more effectively on headaches than" ..to which Spike Milligan famously said, "Thats why I use nothing to cure my headaches!")

There is IMO a world of difference between being cured of an ailment and proclaiming that rocks fling certain people across fields because of the power surges which these people claim to be able to detect...especially as these things happen sans witnesses.....The film Mystery Men..had a character who could turn himself invisible but only when no-one was watching him, I find claimants of special powers to be like this. Mind you there was a dowser of certain fame filmed for a news programme...he used to get "electric shocks" from stones (almost any standing stone he chose) though no-one else present got so much as frostbite from keeping their hands on the stones for too long....when this "special person" proceeded to touch the stone he started jittering and shaking in a manner he assumed was symptomatic of an electric shock (I can only assume he had never had a real electric shock or had watched too many Tom & Jerry cartoons...the way he carried on)...however when the reporter touched him...or should I say once he realised the reporter had touched him, in an effort to see if he too would be affected(he wasn't)..the remarkable dowser stopped his cavortings claiming that he had been earthed. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge of physics would know that if the reporter had earthed him the electricity would have had to travel through the reporter's body, the same goes for a modicum of medical knowledge someone to have had an electric shock of such strength that "stuck" his hands to the rock....he would need a medical check-up to ensure a cardiac arrhythmia had not affected him.
So I might be an awkward bugger...but I need proof that something is before I will put my name to it....however I don't need proof something isn't to disbelieve it.....

I found this interesting to read whether you believe any of it or not. Many obviously do and it is obviously a very serious matter to them which I for one will respect.

http://www.britishdowsers.org/learning/what_is_dowsing.shtml
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index