204 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw? Dowsing
May 23, 2012, 17:35
Littlestone wrote:
Resonox wrote:
Or....to quote Kay Nolte Smith "The tragedy is that every brain cell devoted to belief in the supernatural is a brain cell one cannot use to make life richer or easier or happier!"

I guess that includes most folks of faith then (past and present) including those who erected the megaliths, churches, cathedrals, temples etc (not to mention the art and music associated with them) in this country and around the world – ‘brain cells’ devoted to beliefs, the result of which we so delight in marvelling at today :-)

Yes..I did mean it to be all inclusive...but you are making a bit of an assumption that people who erected megaliths were doing it for worshipping supernatural doings and its a bit high handed to state we wouldn't have excellent art and music if not for religion......I'd go as far as to say(me being high handed now) religions were the ones who demanded art and music creators bend to their will and use it as a celebration of their deity of choice(don't get me wrong..I think there are some magnificent musical works created on behalf of churches/temples./mosques/synagogues etc etc, ditto artwork and architecture).......and if religion still had such a strong monopoly on peoples' abilities and talents...we would be ploughing and building over megaliths and we wouldn't have science and we'd still be burning harmless old women with the ability to dowse water and cure belly-ache.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index