Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trees and stones with powers to throw?

204 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trees and stones with powers to throw?
May 13, 2012, 07:51
Resonox wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The Eternal wrote:
Mr Hamhead,

I don't really understand dowsing, but I have tried it in our back garden, without expecting any success, being a sceptic.

However, one day I got a couple of those old-fangled wire coat-hangars, and fashioned a couple of traditional (like on telly) -looking "dowsing rods". I put the words in inverted commas, as they were not "official" dowsing-rods, let's get that straight before I continue.

Anyway, the dowsing started, with me pacing up and down our back garden (south facing, but don't know if that matters), with the rods loosely held in my hands. To my surprise they both moved outwards and inwards at the same time at certain places. Now, I thought this was just chance, so I performed the same walk again, over the same ground, and the rods moved outwards and inwards together in exactly the same places.

I can't explain why, but all I know is that it happened, and I had witnesses, all of whom had no idea why either. I am still looking for a scientific reason, but can't find a convincing one.

My only question is, was I really dowsing? I wasn't looking for owt, just walking up and down the garden like a prat. I've read that dowsing is actually doing similar, but with concentrated thoughts about what you are looking for. My sister said she tried it whilst looking for something and it worked.

Mysteriously yours,
TE.

That seems a typical response from most first attempts , but is it dowsing ?
I don’t know , dowsers don’t seem to respond to that question .
If you look at Roy’s link dowsers claim to find much else apart from water “dowsing can be also used for searching for other underground features such as archaeological remains” . Previously unknown archaeological sites are found all the time a good example might be rock art ,which varies from being in plain sight to buried under turf /heather .How come dowsers never find any . Or anything else archaeological for that matter If you do your dowsing around sites lie stone circles and you get the usual response known to every beginner why believe it has some relationship to the site ? , try it at a landfill site and you’ll get the same response does that suggest that there was a missing stone from a stone circle or a processional route , or might there be a more mundane explanation ? The past few decades have seen the rise of dowsing for “energies “ rather than the more usual “blind springs “ of Underwood or Lethbridge’s “rates “ , where is the mention of this prior to the 60’s in the extensive writings on the subject ?

And..why do the vast majority of people with this marvellous 1st time success rate...never keep it up?
My auntie Bunty's dowsing rods were constantly crossing and uncrossing..so we tied a bit of wool to each one and now she produces marvellous balaclavas, jumpers and socks...sorted ;0)

:-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index