132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Oct 02, 2010, 16:13
GLADMAN wrote:

Guess it depends on whether you think the values in question have any value or not? It all gets terribly complicated, does it not? I mean, I was taught that those wonderful Romans brought civilisation to Britain and got rid of those nasty druids doing dodgy things in those groves .... but then wasn't it those barbarian hordes who finally eradicated human sacrifice from Roman custom?

Your right, values and ethics should stand above religon, they should come from the logical perspective; humans on the other hand will relate their subjective perception to their own and others morality. I was defending the right of a small minority - the new druids - some recognition in a world that is a little contemptuous of a new 'religion', and who are on the whole fairly placid and peaceful in their beliefs....
Belief and religion are illogical but we have to judge the harm they may or may not do... The old druids and the romans were pretty horrendous, but we still do war under any old banner that suits us....

Its alright I'm always defending things ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index