132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 23, 2010, 14:27
Resonox wrote:
The thread seems(IMO)to be veering towards confusing "paganism" with "atheism"..I have always assumed that praising nature was a form of worship and in it's own way a sort of deity worship, so can't really be atheism...even the scientists are just as pagan as the rest of us with their own form of worship.

I love, cherish and respect the natural world more than anything else, but I don't worship it. It is a series of complex physical and chemical processes which enable life to exist, that we are only just beginning to understand. The natural world is not a deity.

Resonox wrote:
These "celebrity atheists" who seem to rail against everything and anything....are just telling us how clever they are by believing nothing at all..yet(desperately)want us to believe in them are the ones who get my goat.
;0P

By celebrity atheists I presume you mean Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and others. Prof Dawkins has it right when he says: "We are all atheist about one god or another. Some of us just go one god further." Dawkins is simply pointing out that worshipping a judeo-christian god is no more irrational that worshipping Thor or Amon Ra or Vishnu or

Dawkins doesn't want you to think he is particularly clever (though he is); all he wants people to do is to think things out logically and rationally for themselves by examining the evidence.

The reason he is so strident about it is because he (like me and millions of others) are FED UP to the back teeth with those who assert religious privilege. By pussy-footing around the believers in case we cause offence, we prolong their unfair privilege.

Happily, I was not in the UK when Pope Ratzinger visited, so I didn't have to breathe the same air as him.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index