Edited Sep 15, 2010, 21:52
The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 15, 2010, 20:39
For me a shrine of stones he made,
And now to glass the rock has grown;
Oft with the blood of beasts was it red;
In the goddesses ever did Ottar trust.

Henry Adams Bellows

On the eve of the pope's visit to this '3rd world country' of ours, how pagan are we still? Underneath the delaminating veneer of the State religion, and the State establishment, how much of the old ways still linger deep within us? Not so much in the brittle surface of our society, but more in what we say and do on a daily basis without hardly thinking of it. The intrinsic 'we' that lives on in our language and in our relationship with our land and our fellow human beings.

Happy Thor and Freya's day your holiness.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2010, 21:56
Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 15, 2010, 20:51
Jeremy Paxman said it all the beginning of newsnight yesterday: "Pope Benedict XVI is visiting Britain. Who cares."

I suppose he could have said it more like a question, but he didn't. It was hilarious.

More on your subject, the pagani lived in the country. If you can see the sky and appreciate the weather and the seasons maybe you're a bit more likely to unconsciously keep a bit of the Old ways?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 15, 2010, 21:27
"maybe you're a bit more likely to unconsciously keep a bit of the Old ways?"

Yes - touch wood!
megadread
1202 posts

Sep 15, 2010, 22:44
I don't believe in gods, or any religion, if i did and i believed he resided in the "heavens", which i take to mean the air or space above us i'd want my "church" open to the skies.

I believe "religion" is the root of all evil, along with roofs. ; )
gjrk
370 posts

Edited Sep 16, 2010, 00:13
Sep 15, 2010, 23:11
I think that our 'hardware' is the same, but the circumstances have changed around it. Or in other words, that it would only need the circumstances to change again to bring some of what you're talking about back to the surface.

I'm quite superstitious for example, even though I know that it's daft.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 15, 2010, 23:29
gjrk wrote:
I think that our 'hardware' is the same, but the circumstances have changed around it. Or in other words, that it would only need the circumstances to change again to bring some of what you're talking about back to the surface.

I'm inclined to agree, hardwired. God and Communal Living both imply keeping to Rules but the payback is a higher propensity to survive. Dawkins rightly says God ain't there but he's wrong to tell people the truth.... Effective leaders have to lie. ;)
CARL
511 posts

Sep 16, 2010, 07:10
I like roofs - keeps the rain out!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 16, 2010, 07:25
megadread wrote:
I don't believe in gods, or any religion, if i did and i believed he resided in the "heavens", which i take to mean the air or space above us i'd want my "church" open to the skies.

I believe "religion" is the root of all evil, along with roofs. ; )

Maybe he will hold a service at Loanhead whilst he's in the area Geoff, that doesn't have a roof! (g)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 16, 2010, 08:20
Yes, its Thorsday again ... I think it is generally accepted that the Age of Christianity is over, replaced by the Age of Reason (quote: Rodney Castleden from Britain 3000BC). We can only hope that the Age of Reason will filter into the 'other great world religion' too.

If 'Pagan' means observing Nature with a sense of awe then it is alive and well ... gods, goddesses and God had been invented by mankind in its own image and sets us apart from other animals as a species with an ego.

Having said all that though, for all the Irish Catholics who have been discriminated against over past decades both in England and Scotland, I hope the Pope's tour (kicking off in Scotland) is successful - as some of my good friends say through gritted teeth "don't start me off" - then for my dear old Mum who believes she was born a Catholic and will die one.

Peace to all.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 16, 2010, 10:34
[quote="tjj"]Yes, its Thorsday again ... I think it is generally accepted that the Age of Christianity is over, replaced by the Age of Reason (quote: Rodney Castleden from Britain 3000BC). We can only hope that the Age of Reason will filter into the 'other great world religion' too.

If 'Pagan' means observing Nature with a sense of awe then it is alive and well ... gods, goddesses and God had been invented by mankind in its own image and sets us apart from other animals as a species with an ego.

Having said all that though, for all the Irish Catholics who have been discriminated against over past decades both in England and Scotland, I hope the Pope's tour (kicking off in Scotland) is successful - as some of my good friends say through gritted teeth "don't start me off" - then for my dear old Mum who believes she was born a Catholic and will die one.
" I hope the pope's tour is successful" - i would class been shot as successful, there should be no place for peodophile scum in any existence, full stop, when will people realize that it happens in all the catholic churches all over the world, and all good people should understand they are ALL THE ENEMY OF LIGHT, along with the muslims that take 10 year old girls as their WIVES, i am related to cromwell and this knowledge is very deep rooted and is not fed by the media, and i hope that it's the age of the spirit and light that we are entering which will give us the reason and understanding to banish all evil in whatever ways possible.
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index