thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 26, 2010, 13:50
Sanctuary wrote:
Resonox wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
How many times have I seen the Daily Mail quote 'this is a Christian country with Christian Values' - whatever they might be - to justify policy.

Interesting enough, some poll figures I saw this week that show that 20% of people in Britain give "no religion" as their denomination, against only 1% that give "other religion", which presumably includes Paganism. Still over 70% give "Christian" as their religion:

http://www.brin.ac.uk/news/?tag=office-for-national-statistics
After the last census...what percentage of the population put down Jedi as their religion???Can't think why...it would be tantamount to claiming to be from Krypton or Gallifrey...mind you,I actually met a guy(in his 60s) who believed he was a Time-Lord.

Another 50 years and the muslim faith will probably dominate.

It's interesting - I was surprised by the relatively low percentage of muslims given. It seems just as likely that in 50 years the "no religion" category will dominate.

Maybe a perception of Islam as "taking over" is symptomatic of the media's obsession with Islam as a source of concern. From my own reaction to the stats (i.e. surprise at the low % of muslims), I'm obviously as influenced by this portrayal as anyone.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index