The Pagan 'problem'

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 21, 2010, 09:34
Sorry to be pedantic - but those grasses and nettles are no longer common - that's the essence of the problem. Not in the city, anyway, where the grounds keepers have found a way to cut or spray the nettle patches. And they've gone, in a matter of two years, here. English Nature/Natural England are spudoomered. Their publications - often free - were stupendous. I've been in a couple of them! But they were riddled by cronyism and hampered by lack of practical experience/fieldcraft, at least in my upland area, where there were many SSSIs. In one of the SSSIs a prominent long cairn was ground for roadstone - they county archaeologist only visited afterwards - and my complaint, as far as Martin X, the then chief executive, was rejected. And then I found the road didn't have ordinary planning consent. I was hoping the conservative government would strengthen wildlife protection - dismantling it seemed to be labour policy - but they're just going to stuff it some more. We weren't doing that much, twenty years ago, but we were leading the world. Not any more!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index