The Pagan 'problem'

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 16, 2010, 11:29
"On the eve of the pope's visit to this '3rd world country' of ours, how pagan are we still? Underneath the delaminating veneer of the State religion, and the State establishment, how much of the old ways still linger deep within us? Not so much in the brittle surface of our society, but more in what we say and do on a daily basis without hardly thinking of it. The intrinsic 'we' that lives on in our language and in our relationship with our land and our fellow human beings."

Well as someone who loves the gods of old, be they Northern or 'celtic', I'd say the Anglo-Saxon pagan character still lives on in our British belligerent attitudes, (witness football) and on a quieter note, I think most of us love the natural world, and that can be seen in how we fight over the 'freedom' to walk freely in this country of ours, and how there are so many organisations dedicated to preserving birds, animals, wild places etc..... whether this has a pagan origin I'm not sure but one thing is for sure, religion provokes a helluva of an argument ;)...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index