The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Pagan 'problem'

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 19, 2010, 04:13
Ah, well, cubes might be viable, certainly, but not useful. As you say, the biodiversity would be at best fractional. And it's that biodiversity we imagine we would be re-establishing. Hah. Forget it.

We don't even have, here in the Piedmont, any comprehensive surveys of preEuropean flora and fauna. There were some Naturalists working in the 18th century, and there are of course reports from 17th century explorers. But no one has any reliable idea of what the ecosystem here actually comprised, especially when you get down to the level of fungi and insects. That's bizarre and, ultimately, discouraging.

There are a few hundred square miles of supposedly "virgin" forest still extant on the Right Coast of the USA, but even in those cases, all that means is those places have no historical evidence of being cut/logged/farmed. Europeans could well have been --indeed probably were-- running pigs in that forest at some point. English earthworms have infested most of those places. Those two factors alone would have changed the ecosystems beyond reconstruction.

Nope. I gave up. I ruined my old pickup truck yanking out invasive plants here. Piled up three brush piles each of which was nearly the size of our house. Now, EPA regulations prevent me from burning such piles. Eff it. It's hopeless.

Our little plot of ground is at least Green, in the sense that's it's providing a carbon sink. That's all we, as homeowners, can do.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index