The Pagan 'problem'

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The Pagan 'problem'
Sep 19, 2010, 05:29
BuckyE wrote:
Our little plot of ground is at least Green, in the sense that's it's providing a carbon sink. That's all we, as homeowners, can do.

Quite. I'm with Moss, trees are better than none. And I don't think turning the ecological clock back is ever possible anywhere, despite the instincts of stoney people, who can see monuments restored rather more easily. It's one world, people immigrate, so do bees, the whole world system is not only inter-linked but in constant flux. Just in my lifetime the dawn chorus is quite different - and that's quite independent of global warming.

You also have the problem that archaeos have - if there was a moment when the past wasn't evolving but was static (which there wasn't) which restoration datum would you be aiming to get back to? For the States, pre-European might be a significant one but there are others equally significant, back to the times of the dot people - and anyway, the impact of Europeans has been incremental over five hundred years, so.....

Nah, it can't be done meaningfully. What might be amusing is to choose a future datum, 200 years hence, and see if you create a vision of that. ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index