The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Offerings at stones

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Offerings at stones
May 20, 2006, 05:44
I guess there's no good solution. The offerers spoil the atmosphere for the pristiners, and the pristiners want to spoil the experience for the offerers. The whole thing is remote from my experience: Loie and I have been to many sites, and I can't remember seeing a single offering. Litter, yes, here and there; idiots encouraging their kids to climb on stones to pose for photos; plenty of other tourists; but no offerings. So the idea just doesn't bother me. It seems a tempest in a teapot.

And Nigel, please don't become tolerant. The world needs MORE brilliant curmudgeons, not less.

Annnnnnd, just as a point of information, it's bone grit, not ashes, that are left after cremation. Everything except the bones and any metal bits (artificial joints, etc.) is completely vaporized during the burning. The metal is picked out from among the bones with a magnet and by hand, and the bones --very brittle on account of the heat-- are ground up in a machine not unlike a food processor. Funeral directors and crematoria operators call them "cremains," perhaps to be pedantically correct, as the cremains aren't really "ashes."
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index