Offerings at stones

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Offerings at stones
May 12, 2006, 20:30
> Despite my inital posting, I think I agree with Littlestone more than Goffik here. We should indeed understand the spirit in which things have been left. There is a clear difference between general litter and offerings, and so on the whole I think I'm against the blunderbussing of folk who leave offerings.

Heh! I'll save the blunderbus for another day then...

Seriously, though, I dunno what else I said that could be disagreed with though! I just reckon that if someone leaves summat that isn't biodegradeable then, once they've left this "offering", why shouldn't someone else remove it? My sacred rusty old wire fence would make a fab offering, but I doubt everyone would enjoy it...

My point (that I keep steering myself away from) is that once the offering is made, then spiritually, surely that should be good enough for that person. It is a sacrifice they have made, and will STILL have made if someone else decides it would be less harmful to the environment and wildlife if it were disposed of in the bin. And they wouldn't even KNOW, so what's the problem?

I'm all for respecting people's beliefs - I wouldn't do it out of spite, but out of love for the place. I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page here (shit! Is that a "marketing" term?).

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index