Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Offerings at stones
May 14, 2006, 09:28
>...but who owns the significance of Swallowhead?<

Interesting question Nigel.

In my humble opinion the people who own the significance of Swallowhead are those to whom it is significant - it doesn't need to get any more complicated than that. Though I might add, as with Stonehenge, significance varies and depends on individual or group interests. Stonehenge is significant to English Heritage for one reason, to travellers for another, to Druids for another, to us, to archaeologists, etc, etc etc for yet other reasons. We're all coming at its significance from different perspectives and, as I've said above, though you and I and others might not like some of those perspectives (offerings at sites to bring us back to the theme of this thread) I'm not about to claim that any one of them is any more or any less significant than the other.

Of course, pigs and turnips are a completely different matter, and although turnips are still a bit of a mystery to me, pigs are an eternal source of delight and fascination (you could call it an obsession but not of the green and scaly kind ;-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index