The Dragon Project

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Well......
Feb 14, 2005, 11:57
Too much standing water at the moment, so using the rods is out. Ive looked over the place where i think the well should be, and theres absolutely nothing there at all. Its been ploughed into oblivion. The other wells mentioned in the map are within the bounds of recent dwellings, so they may still be there. Its hard to gauge distance accurately as I cant get a good quality hard copy to take down to the area, so i could be off by several yards.

heres the web page: http://mario.lancashire.gov.uk/viewer.htm

On the old map it shows an area just north called 'Greens Pit' and I took the hounds out on Saturday in that general direction. Theres a well used path going that way and theres always tons of pottery shards and old bricks, also ive found a fair bit of old green glass - this time I found the lid of a dewsbury storage jar, and I wonder if this was an old rubbish tip. Again, we're talking recent history, but its the connection between 'finding' stuff and the ability to 'sense' the presence of things. Ive found loads of iron artefacts unaided, nothing desperately old or valuable, but curious and quite rewarding in a small way.

I find myself out in a field, alone with just the dogs for company, and its almost as if the land is waiting to reveal its secrets, but I just dont know the right questions to ask! The right 'open sesame' command to bring the past to life again. If I could free my mind from the modern perspective and logical constraints of cognitive thought, then perhaps a more primitive sixth sense would reappear, almost like the ability of birds and animals to exploit EM fields, a faculty lost to humans, drowned out by the noise and weight of the usual and 'normal' perceptions.

Its really good to see this subject being examined rationally and in context with archaeology, instead of being shoved into the wacko 'Most Haunted' catagory - there must be a scientific basis to it, it has just been the target of too many charlatans and other cranks, trying to exploit it for their own ends.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index