This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Meccaliths
Nov 11, 2003, 23:46
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, you egocentric G.I.T ;-)

What I mean is, the debate has fallen to riled part-assumptive name-calling yet again. Some say that the pagans are misguided, the 'pagans', say that they are entitled, people are speaking for the villagers assuming that this 'group' of people are disturbing the villagers late at night. The point is, what is the point?

And FW, I agree with you that access for all is more important than access just for those claiming Avebury as 'their' temple. I can't disprove it's their temple any more than I could prove that it isn't. Avebury will forever be a subjective object. But where was anyone asking for the car park to be closed to 'non pagans' overnight?

To Freeavebury, what do you want Avebury to be free from, or to? And why do you think there is selective persecution rather than a general enforcement of an exisisting code (overnight parking)?

Wouldn't a campsite some way distant be better? If I was 'freeing Avebury', the worst possible scenario I could envision would be that small car park, jam-packed with people and motor vehicles all night(s) long. Imagine 15,000 people trying to get there for Mayday, argghhh!

Yes think not what Avebury can do for you, but what you can do for Avebury. I say all of this (and wish you well with your decisions/plans) with the horrid knowledge (from own involvement) of the prejudice, generalised mistrust and sometimes open ridicule of travelling people. It takes only a few so-called travellers to be rude or insensitive for the ire of the general public and authorities to come crashing down on anyone who sleeps in a van or tent and isn't at Butlins at the time.

You/we have to be 'better' than the general public, in other words, and embarrass the authorities with impeccable manners and intelligence ;-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index