This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
oriondruid
2 posts

Re: pagan persecution at avebury.
Nov 09, 2003, 19:16
Hi Mik, Emma and all.

I'm coming into this thread a bit late but have been discussing this situation on some other message boards.

Some here have raised the point that as a recognised religion under EU law we have a right to peacefully carry out our practices. These include ceremonies at dawn and midnight. Since no public transport to and from Avebury exists between those times these restrictions on car/vehicle parking completely bar us form persuing our spiritual path at our largest working temple!

NT have always in the past been flexible about this over pagan festival weekends and it appears from what I hear that the driving force behind this parking ban is not the NT but the local Parish Council. This is by definition linked to the local Christian church, so who is pushing for this? Is there a Fundie Christian biggot or two sitting on the Parish Council?

I agree that this ban might be needed at 'normal' times to prevent large numbers of travellers and nomadic people attempting to set up semi-permanent camps in the car park. However at pagan festival times it should be waved.

The tourist car park is outside the boundaries of the earthworks on the edge of the village and people who camp there as a rule would not in any way disturb the villagers, which has been suggested as an excuse for this ban. We do not hold raves or use loud amplified loud music in the car park. At least only on one occasion in the last couple of years can I remember anyone doing so, they were not regular attendees and even then shut the music off fairly early. Solstice two years ago a massively loud party was held in the village by a resident which went on till near dawn!

Many Blessings.
John Pullin, (Oriondruid).
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index