pagan persecution at avebury.
This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Grendel
317 posts

Re: pagan persecution at avebury.
Nov 08, 2003, 12:11
Is stopping access to a car park stopping the worship?

As I have said elsewhere - if worshippers were to arrive on foot, for example, then worship could go ahead totally unhindered.

Is there anything to stop worshippers who wish to drive to Avebury coming to some arrangement with a local with a large drive?

Another solution would be a permitting system to allow parking at certain times. A short form filling and sticker purchase could sort this (if NT said no to the suggestion then that perhaps shows the ture sign of any intent).

I work for an organisation that has carparking in its remit. It has the power to set charges, 'dictate' opening and closing times and control vehicle types through, for example, height barriers (this stops posh people in 4x4's as well as traveller-type vehicles so no-one is directly targetted!). This it can do perfectly legally. I guess NT would be in the same position.

I sympathise with the position and I'm sure there is a solution (but it may involve money changing hands as happens at Avebury during daylight hours with the P&D carparking) but there has to be some realism.

As a final thought on denying access for worship - how does the Church get around this aspect when it locks churches when not in formal use?

Regards

Grendel
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index