This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: On the offensive
Nov 11, 2003, 07:15
I never suggested or metioned opening the car park as a campsite. I was talking about opening it as a car park. With regards to a campsite, someone is missing out on a good business opportunity somewhere I would imagine.

I was, however, talking about opening it as a car park for everyone. If anyone gets the right to park there then everyone should get the right to park there. If it's on specific dates to suit yourselves then that's fine ... it's a start, but the battle should not end there, nor will it. One small group will come from Lithuania (where Xtianity did not reach until 1300s and the pre-Xtian religions are very strongly known about) and want to practice a ceremony on St. George's Day (a traditional day for good weather ceremonies). Then the lobbying will have to start again. Surely it is much better to campaign for continuous access so that NO ONE feels persecuted ever again - at least at Avebury.

I still maintain that you are not being stopped from practicing your ceremonies. You are free to do so and you have no arguement for religious persection of any kind. You can park and walk. You could easily operate a ferrying system from the Silbury car park.

It was said above that prosecutions may well happen the next time there are large numbers there (i.e. you at a ceremony). There was no need to add the qualifier, was there? If 150 people turn up tomorrow night and decide to have a quiet chat in the stones then are you saying that they would be left alone because they are not pagans? I doubt it. The probelm is persecution of numbers, not of religion. That is a fight I am whole heartedly behind.

You are right, I may not know the secret inner workings of the pagan religions, but I would say that none of us know the inner workings of any religion, unless we are high up within the ranks of said religion. However, don't assume that I know nothing at all of the religions that fall under the pagan banner.

After you have secured parking rights to Avebury where is your next target for campaign? Or do you stop there?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index