pagan persecution at avebury.
This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: pagan persecution at avebury.
Nov 10, 2003, 09:46
I was just wondering if this could be an angle? We know that if you can prove to have used a path for ten years and can prove it then you get right of way. Not sure about car parks though, and a body the size of the NT are going to be difficult to go against.

Like others here, I don't think that there is a strong case for religious persecution, since the same rules are being applied to all regardless of creed. While I am very keen to see overnight parking at Avebury what you seem to be arguing for is possitive descrimination for pagans, which on the face of it would appear to rule non pagans out. I'm not complaining, just highlighting an issue that could prevent this from getting maximum support.

I strongly sympathise, as I can see the issue from your point of view, I liken this to other forms of religious persecution in the past, which largely went unrecognised.

I personally would have taken a different angle on it. I would have set up "the campaign for overnight parking at Avebury" and allowed pagans (and everyone else) to join and lend support. This would have made it an issue that everyone could agree with, and be inclusive to pagan issues as well, thus maximising the potential public support.

May I ask why target this forum for your campaign? Not complaining, I just know there are a great many pagan forums with many more active users. Whilst this is definately a pro Avebury forum, and a pro overnight carparking forum, as has been stated by FW, many would want to stayover any night they wished, as opposed to being motivated specifically by pagan festivals.

I think the first thing you need is a clear statement of what you are trying to achieve. Then you should start up a petition and use that to get a show of support. Obviously a petition on it's own (unless you get tens of thousands of signatures) is not going to have much effect, but it allows you to focus your campaign and is a basic building block of any campaign.

I don't think you should put yourselves up for prosecution just yet, you should wait until you have the ears of the press and the sympathy of a large number of people, then you will maximise the impact of that event.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index