This topic is locked

126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
freeavebury
22 posts

Re: brigantes!..................
Nov 09, 2003, 21:10
Hi
ok, the last post was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek, but since you ask, good question and well made.

My working definition of epistemelogical is 'theory of knowledge' This definition (I believe) neatly surmises the longer dictionary offering, and is a definition widely accepted in the social sciences. As for my epistemelogical position, it is just that - mine. I dont claim to speak on behalf of others regarding this issue.

So you initially ask what is me EP ragrding my pagan 'beliefs' Well, these are based on my experiences as a pagan, both in stone circles and without. These experiences have been felt both on a physical level and a psychological level. Why else would I be a 'pagan' if i didnt hold such beliefs. however I must add that these arent mere beliefs - i KNOW!! This then ties in to the theory of 'knowledge'!

Secondly you ask how I can claim Avebury is a 'temple'. We are well aware of the lack of 'factual' writings, most of our accounts being based on the biased writings of |Caesar amongst others and it being an oral tradition. However, I believe knowledge is not always based on 'objective truth' Knowledge can come from within (and the without!). We use the place today as best we can in relation to the energies about the place, and try to be as faithful to the past as possibe. However, we also believe that paganism is an organic tradtion, constantly evolving to fit in with contemporary life - so if we are to say it is the temple of the Ancient Britons, who is anyone to say we are wrong (or right?). Thirdly, when we use the phrase 'our' temple, we do not mean 'not yours'but 'everyones', we certainly make no claim upon the place for ourselves.

Finally, we apologise if we offend anyone, but we take this issue very seriously. If we all go along patting ourselves on the back, we would be taken aprt in court, so we need as many viewpoints as possible, in order to equip ourselves as well as practically possible, and this does include taking on board comments we may not necessarily agree with.

Please remember we are not the trouble makers - this is down to the relevant authorities. If we do not make a stand now, there will be no overnight parking for ANYONE at any time. We must all act together to prevent this monstrous miscarriage of our rights as citizens and (if applicable!) Pagans.

bleesed be
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index