tiompan wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

If I want to find where the sun will rise from an ancient monument on any given date, what calculations do I have to do to find the angle of the Suns path and that locations horizon height etc? I'm not at the site, but want to do it remotely.

Could you explain the process?

Certainly .
I can send you the details ,as long as you promise not to tell Cerrig .

lol.

Tell me the site , make it one that has never had a survey and I'll do the business .

Meacombe burial chamber, Devon.

Doubt anybody has had a proper look at it.

Ok , did you get the stuff ?

Great site ,didn't know it .

Solstices ?

Do you know the axis of the chamber at Meacombe ?

I know next to nothing about it as the one and only time I visited was an extremely quick dash across a field full of cows with increasing curiosity, but it strikes me as a good one to look at because of what seems to me a restricted and definite 'window' in terms of orientation and the interesting horizon.

Just tried to locate it on google earth, but it's tricky to find, even using the kml plug in which isn't always on the exact spot.
But from memory I would say NW/SE, so quite possibly solstice, yes.

Just found this, I was right with the NW/SE! Wonders will never cease.

http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MDV8231&resourceID=104

Yep , it looks good for a possible solstice orientation .
The azis (based on true north not magnetic or grid (fwiw so anyone using compasses will have to pay attention to the magnetic variation ) based on 2500 BC declinations rather than the present are SSSR= just over 52
degees ,WSSR =133 ,WSSS =228,SSSS=310 .
without the actual axis figure ,which will have a relatively wide "window " ,I can't say for sure but it does look good from the various pics and we shouldn't expect pinpoint accuracy from the builders . The ssss is also by far the longest horizon distance .
Any more like that in the area ?

There is a portal tomb, spinsters rock, not too far away. Might be interesting to look at.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index