70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 18:16
GILA Night Works
Muscular krautrock. Very trancey sounds like a good option if you’re looking for early 70s heavy. Mainly instrumental featuring the guitar of Conny Veit who was later with Popul Vuh. And is no relation to the Cabinet of Dr Caligari/same eyebrows as Blixa guy

NAZZ Open Our Eyes
2cd compi of all the released material byTodd Rundgren’s first well known band.
Heavy guitar dominated Brit invasion loving stuff.

TRAFFIC John Barleycorn Must Die
Originally solo lp by Stevie Winwood becomes 3rd classic lp by Traffic. Title track is a reworking of an old English Harvest folk tune.This is the remaster from a couple of years back complete with a couple of tracks live from The Fillmore from the time.
I was surprised by how funky the lp sounded on first hearing it. Been meaning to buy it for ages.

ISAAC HAYES Shaft Soundtrack
Soundtrack to the blaxploitation movie. Here joined by the Bar-kays , The Movement and tHe Memphis strings and Horns. Mainly instrumental soundtracky music but I got this especially for the 20 minute version of Do Your Thing which cooks throughout.

CACTUS Cactology
Heavy blues band featuring rhythm section from Vanilla fudge, Guitarist from The Detroit Wheels . Initially formed while the Fudgers were waiting for Jeff Beck to get the nerve together to join.

AUGUSTUS PABLO King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
One of the archetypal dub lps. Strangely not featuring much melodica considering who’s doing most of the lead.

GROUP 1850 Agemo’s Trip To Mother Earth
The 67 Dutch psych concept lp plus singles from 66 to 69.
Very strange, the singles get pretty krautrocky.
This is the version on Pseudonym with the 3d cover and glasses

BLACK SABBATH Master Of Reality
3rd lp by Brum heavies. This might be their best .

CHARLIE FEATHERS Wild Wild Party
Hour+ bootleg cd by the rockabilly. Includes several different versions of several tracks. This is great but the sound does slip from time to time and its got no sleevenotes.
Wonder what the Revenant lp’s like?

GENESIS Nursery Cryme
English pastoral sounding lp from 71. If I forget who its by I think its got its share of moments. I’m still trying to work out whivch hip-hop song starts with a sample of the musical box. Hope This ain’t the start of a lapse into proghood.

GHOSTFACE KILLAH Ironman
Very r’n’b based sound for the Wu with the great cadence. I think if I heard a live band playing something like this I’d be a happy chappy.
This features The Delfonics on at least one track.

ARCHIE SHEPP Fire Music
Shepp from 66 with lp that gave a name to a genre though it ain’t quite that noisy.
MC5 used to cover Hambone which I’d love to hear. This is pretty great r’n’b jazz including a great version of Girl From Ipanema.
Strange to hear a trombone used in music this groovy.

VARIOUS TURKISH DELIGHTS
compi of Mainly 60s garage/psych stuff from Turkey. The combination of Beat/R’n’b with Turkish folk influence leads to something pretty psychy.
I’ve read that this is far more garagey than Hava Nagile the other recent Turkish compi which was supposed to be the psych one. If that’s true and this sounds as cool as it do I wonder what that’s like.
Stevo
Np Cactus Cactology Oleo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index