Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 00:30
Okay, now I'm ready.

Guns 'n Roses - "The Spaghetti Incident?" This covers collection should have been an EP, but when it's good, it's as good or better than Appetite. Favorites vary from listen to listen. As always, Axl sounds like he was born to sing Nazareth's Hair Of The Dog. And it's obvious that, having grown up in a cow-town, he identifies with the lyrics of UK Subs' Down On The Farm to the bone. He got a lot of crap for singing it in a bad mockney accent, but that's just something Americans can't help doing. Hey, every time I try to sing a Cope song, I slip into a bad imitation of a middle-class Midlander accent. And speaking of Cope...

Julian Cope - "WSYM," "Fried," "Floored Genius 2"
Still haven't gotten tired of any of these. What's left to say? Well, there's always that Fried review I've been putting off.

Billy Idol - "Billy Idol," "Rebel Yell"
I said it before, I'll keep saying it: forget the singles, there's some great album tracks.

Iggy Pop - "Nude & Rude: The Best Of"
Why, oh, why do I still have this? Uh...it's nicely packaged, with one of the infamous Mick Rock nude photos on a lime-green background. But I'll finally get a real Iggy album this week, and Raw Power's on it's way from a branch library for the second time (the Iggy mix, of course.)

Dead Or Alive - "Youthquake"
Here's another 80s artifact I'll defend anytime. Again, forget "You Spin Me Round" and "In Too Deep." I put this on for the album tracks. Didn't include it in the synth-pop thread out of laziness.

Dead Or Alive - "Nukleopatra"
Released in Japan in '95 and the rest of the world in the late 90's, this runs almost 80 minutes and inevitably has way too much filler, so I need to put it on again, but the Rebel Rebel cover still sounded great, as did a few others, like Sex Drive, which rates on its chorus lyric alone:
"Sex drive/It sees no gender or colour/So let's get together and collide with each other/Sex drive/You know how it feels/Get into my car/And get under my wheels"
A plea for tolerance, and an Alice Cooper reference. My kind of lyric.

And Friday's chatroom party alone had a great soundtrack:

Expose, "Exposed" South Florida's only positive contribution to music. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this. I was 14 at the time. But most English-language pop from my formative years now sounds like crap, and this still makes me tingle. So wonderfully girly.

Queen, "Classic Queen" I may get lynched for this, but what can I say? I like them. Besides, it was a comment in the chatroom about hammers that inspired me to put it on.

Three greatest hits collections each defining three different phases of my life as a fan of Latin pop sirens: Lucia Mendez (childhood,) Ana Gabriel (adolescence,) and Paulina Rubio (current as well as catching up with the 90s, when I no longer lived in Latin America.)

xxoo
SOA
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index