Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 19, 2003, 11:31
Mary Margaret O Hara - Miss America - Still enjoying this, noticed she guests on somebody's new CD but forgotten who now.

Pulp - We Love Life. - Criminally undersold album - oh Well Jarvis is off to France, so no doubt that will inspire him further.

Pulp - This Is Hardcore - sad that they are not doing (commercially) well when the likes of Oasis sell by the bucket load. I'm not precious about my music - if it is good it deserves to sell - although many on here would disown their heros if they "sold out"

Stephen Jones - Unreleased Demos - Continuing in a Sheffield vein. Stuff I should shut up about, but it is damned good.

Shipcote's Lambton Lion Club - Midget Gems - hehehe some midget gems on here alright, a real summery album, quirky little bugger.

All Aboard The Jumpin' Hot Club (Compilation) After last night's launch gig in Newcastle last night I had to mention this, OK so it's smalltime and mainly acoustic, some of the tracks aren't that great, but there are some real stars included. a lad called Richard dawson had us mesmerised last night - what a voice, and a passion for his music.

Mum - Finally We Are No-one - Icelandic whimsy to chill your fevered brow.

Bjork - Debut - haven't played this for years, what a great album. Human Behaviour is one of those killer opening tracks, and Play Dead - fantastic.

Bjork - Selmasongs (Dancer In The Dark Soundtrack) how can I describe this? Uplifting, Sad, Yearning music. This probably reawakened my interest in Bjork - Ta Pebble Thief.

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia (European edition) Yeah OK so it's sad to buy something more than once, but it did have a shiny bonus disc with extra tracks and pretty good they are too. so nah!

Robert Wyatt - Shleep - another one I haven't played for years, probably since it came out in 97, prompted by mentions on the cover versions thread, I decided to give it a spin.. I like Bob, but some tracks I just can't listen to - ~The Duchess is one of them AAARGH! Thought the track with Eno (Heaps Of Sheeps) was cool.

Elbow - Asleep In The Back - I really like these lot <expects more abuse> Any Day now is another good album opener. Anybody got a high quality FULL copy of their version of Destiny's Childs' "Independent Woman" sheer genius!

Blue Nile - Hats - In principle, I like The Blue Nile. I love Paul Buchanan's voice and some of their songs are ace, but the crystal clear production is sometimes a little too 80's / 90's sounding - A word of advice lads - get your hands dirty and put out a new album - you lazyarses.

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out Of Season - Sublime - say no more.

Tim Bowness & Peter Chilvers - Toronto - This is goingto be another of those free CDs soon, but the copy I have has a lot of jitter. Live in Toronto.

Tim Bowness & Peter Chilvers - Overstrand - I got a packetload of CDs from Burning Shed this week, so there is a bit of Chilvers Bias, this is live and out-takes. Some nice stuff.

Peter Chilvers - He Wrote This - Lots of Double Bass and Chapman Stick. hehehehe you lot'll love that - not!

Alias Grace - Storm Blue Evening - Peter Chilvers and an Irish singer called Sandra O Neill - mmmm don't know about this yet. Do I like her voice? I'll get back to you.

Peter Chilvers - Stormwatcher - Still think this is a bloody great instrumental album.

Nitin Sawney - Migration. One of those Indian Themed CDs from Joolio. Now come on Joolio - fess up! I cannot believe you have EVER listened to this.

Cocteau Twins - CD Singles Boxed Set - great! from Lullabies to Iceblink Luck including a cd of 4 rarities, this has gathered dust on my shelf for too long. need to update some of my Cocteaus albums now.

Cocteau Twins - Victorialand - Very scratchy vinyl - but - hey, look what I found - a whole bunch of mid price remasters coming out on Feb 10th. mmmmm bank balance,,,, don't do it...but I got to.....bad moey.

CONTINUES......
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index