Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: how can people listen to so much?
Jan 19, 2003, 23:42
Well 23, I guess it all comes down to how we live our lives and what our priorities are. Personally, music is the most important thing in my life after my mother and my daughter. I have other interests and loves but my record collection is my personal choice of material nirvana. I rarely watch TV, and when I do it's usually something to do with music or, less often, current affairs or footy. (Mind you, I make an exception for Frasier, Becker and Cheers...US comedy is so much better than UK's these days, but that's another issue). Here's a typical weekday for yours truly:

Wake up, get washed and shaved while listening to Radio 3. I hate pop music in the morning;

Drive to work listening to what I've probably spent a good five minutes choosing to play in the car. Like Moey, I have a 30 minute drive to work, thus allowing for some serious grooving;

Ditto driving home;

Have dinner then watch the news. Around about 8PM sit myself in front of the hi-fi and enjoy around three hours of music: classical, rock or jazz depending upon what sort of mood I'm in. I like to plan classical programmes around a single conductor, orchestra or performer, emulating a live concert the best way I can. Similarly, I'll give myself a 'Canterbury Night', or a 'Purple Night', or a 'Van Morrison Night', or a 'Krautrock Night'...whatever floats my boat at that time. I spent a whole evening listening to Charlie Parker the other week, and loved every minute; the next night I tried the same and had to change to something different. Different days brings different ways.

Basically, since the age of eight I have been obsessed with music of all kinds. I live and breathe records. And what I put in my weekly list here is only the most memorable things I've played, and even then only the rock ones.

Sad but true. Music is my shamen. And I suspect I'm not alone here.

Yours confessionally

Dave W
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index