70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 18:15
ZOMBIES Decca Stereo Anthology
2cd compi of the r+b/pop stuff from the most exam qualified band from the 60s. For a buncha swots they’re pretty dashed cooking. Seem more jazz influenced than most of the other bands I’ve heard from the time.

SWANS Feel Good Now
’87 Children Of God era band live including 20 minute version of Blind Love which I always loved from the moment I saw it live.
What this cd doesn’t have is the image of Mike Gira rolling around in a nappy.Wonder if they’re about to reissue 2 Anonymous Figures in a room which was the official bootleg of the next year’s heavy folk phase(I Think)

HIGH ON FIRE Surrounded By Thieves
About the most violent lp I’ve ever heard. Matt Pike takes out his frustrations by writing sword and sorcery/pagan primitive lyrics and assaulting the eardrums with his guitar and his bandmates drums and bass.Pike has the hoarsest voice that side of Lemmy methinks.

SQUIRE OF SOMERTON Transverberations
Weird psych type stuff that veers from trip-hoppy dance stuff to YES style guitars.
Most eccentric.

LITTER Distortions+
’66 First lp by 60s punk/psych band. Mostly covers of earlier British Invasion stuff by The Who, Small Faces and The Yardbirds with killer guitar by Bill Strandloff. Here joined by the live versions of tracks from the second lp that were recorded during the filming for the film Medium Cool but replaced with the Mothers Flower Punk onscreen. Seems a shame since these are more muscular versions of the tracks and maybe replace the need to own the 2nd lp $100 Fine

ETHIOPIQUES 13 The Golden Seventies
Another volume of the series of African funk stuff. This is a few years later than the stuff I’d heard before coming from ‘76 and ’77. Thankfully hasn’t slid into the disco mire that was marring the music coming from the West at the same time. Has some guitar that verges on the metallivc. I’ve got to get some more of this series, what I’ve heard so far has been stellar.

GAA Auf Der Bahn Zum Uranus
Krautrock from ’73. Listening to this on my ghettoblaster I thought it sounded very Frisco Ballroom like, listening to it on headphones I’m not so sure.
Still great trancey stuff with acoustic meets electric guitars.

COIL The Golden Hare With The Voice of Silver
The 2cd version of the Russian compilations. Frequently very eerie stuff between echoey acoustic stuff and electro beats.

GUN CLUB Miami
2nd lp by LA postpunk band led by Jeffrey Lee Pierce.This is one of my all time fav lps. Weird mix of country type slide guitars over bass dominated sound.
I hear this as close to the country lp that the Doors never recorded.
I have this on cdr with the Death Party e.p. after it. I heard it was due a rerelease last year soi hopefully that’s forthcoming. If they have any sense they’ll bung out a 2cd thingy call it The Animal years and have the stuff I have here plus the early version of Walking With The Beast and The Las Vegas Story lp plus whatever out-takes. If they have any more sense they’ll get the live recording from Italy of Mr Duckworth and give it an official release.

Np Cactus Cactology Oleo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index