Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03

70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 17:06
A pal from Manchester came to stay for a few days, so he left lots of Cd's new to me that i've been perusing at my leisure.

Current fav's include:-

The Faint - Blank Wave Arcade...New Order meets Depeche Mode in a retro disco futurist way...one for all you 80's heads this week. Really is a goody too, which in turn inspired me to...

John Foxx - Metamatic...still love this even though I've had it since 1981, and the vinyls all knackered.

Living Ornaments 1979/80 - Gary Numan...almost a 'greatest hits' Live. Includes almost all of Numans best moments. As a kid, rather sadly, i knew every word/note of these two albums..I'll get me coat : /

Queens Of The Stoneage - Songs For The Deaf
OK follow up to R Rated, though still doesn't kick as hard as it should...never mind, maybe next time.

Estrus Dynamite Volume 3...Great comp' of Garage/Surf punk from the retro pioneers Estrus.
Includes Man Or Astroman and Monkeywrench (Mudhoney) The Soledad Brothers to name but a few.

The Mummies - Never Been Caught...CD release of early 90's lofi Surf/Garage/Trash classic with extra tracks, though doesn't have the superb cover of 'Out of Our Tree' or the 'Food Sycles Girls' 7". Great nontheless.

Dischord 20 years Box Set....some great and not so great moments on Dischord, Minor Threat, Rites Of Spring, Fugazi, The Untouchables (whose Nic Fit i think Sonik Youth covered?) worth it for the rare and unreleased disc and the nice booklet.

Radio 4 - The New Song And Dance - didn't enjoy this, it's just TOOO 80's (though not good 80's). All in all a bit of a let down compared to the better Gotham CD (though that's not brilliant).

Peel - fabric 7 mix CD...some hilarious versions of Pretty vacant (Purty Vacant) and Lust For Life in a C&W stylee, plus my altime party fave 'Moon Hop' by Derrick Morgan (altogether now! Yea, Yeah, Yeah Yeah, Yeaah, Yeah, Yeah)

Assorted Singles including the great Raveonettes 'Attack Of The Ghost Riders', The Kills Droput Boogie, the Caesars Crackin' Up to name just a few.

That's It, I'm out!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index