Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Morrissey...at it again (again)
Jan 06, 2014, 23:09
Robot Emperor wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Despite what people seem to be thinking, exercising empathy for a species not your own is not actually the same thing as engaging in paedophilia yourself.

Whilst having complete sympathy with most of what you say the above is complete bollocks. Even the more disappointing Daily Mail style responses in the thread at no point suggest anybody thinking anything of the sort. I dislike posturing on an important issue. It is a deliberate misreading and misrepresentation.

Well yeah, I was being pretty facetious there, I'll give ya. I think I may have been having trouble trying to wrap the post up/plus the phone was ringing right at the end. The point is having a vehement opinion about the one does not mean you're excusing the other. From the knee-jerk reactions Mozzer's getting here and elsewhere I do think people are smudging the impetus behind all of his comments. It's basically the same statement over and over again, except inserting the hot topic of the day in the blanks. What he's comparing eating meat to isn't that important; he's just using a literate device to say "I really, really hate it and think it's really, really bad". One reason why I think those kind of comparisons do very little good is because bringing up whatever you're comparing something to will reel-in something with its own set of emotional baggage, and it just results in a load of drawn-out argument fodder. Useless word bandying.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index