thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2014, 20:57
Re: Morrissey...at it again (again)
Jan 06, 2014, 20:56
billding68 wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Rather off the point, but one thing that strikes me about this thread is that the criticism of Morrissey's statement (which I have said above does come across as pretty clumsy and likely to be counterproductive) seems to mainly revolve around his choice of "pedophilia" as a crime to compare animal slaughter with. Whereas no-one seems to get upset over 30 years of him stating a view that Meat = Murder.

Seems a little odd, like there's a league table of crimes, some of which (i.e. murder) are okay to compare meat production with, while others (i.e. child abuse) are obviously way too serious to be used to make the same kind of comparison. Probably says something about the psychology of our cultural views and values that murder seems to be more acceptable/less abhorrent. Perhaps it's Agatha Christie's fault.

Someone needs to sexually violate morrissey brutally and then force feed him a angus burger and ask him if they're the same thing.

No, I get that point. What I meant was that it seems to be okay with society for someone to compare meat production with murder, but not with child abuse. Murder is generally considered to be a pretty bad thing. In almost every part of the globe, murder is viewed as the most serious crime that warrants the highest possible sentence. Yet the apparent outrage on this thread has mainly been caused by the specific comparison made, whereas no similar outcry has greeted his Meat = Murder stance.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index