Topic View: Flat | Threaded
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Morrissey...at it again (again)
Jan 06, 2014, 20:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
I remember once being given an intensive grilling by all the colleagues at a job I'd just started. One dude, who eats meat and later ended up being one of my best friends, saw I was desperately trying to disappear into my seat and actually posited the exact same metaphor as Morrissey. The whole crowd stopped giving me shit there and then and I could have hugged him. I myself probably wouldn't say it in person, mostly because I've fucking had it up to here, wherever here is, of having to explain myself to self-righteous carnies (yes, they tend to be the self-righteous ones).

I can so relate to this. Why does not eating meat have to be continually and protractedly justified to satisfy the curiosity of meat eaters? Is it because they feel threatened or something (like it might be catching)? Is it because to not eat meat is to not "conform"? Personally I get sick to death of this. Yet I would never dream of saying to someone I barely know "so, why do you eat dead animals?"

Rather off the point, but one thing that strikes me about this thread is that the criticism of Morrissey's statement (which I have said above does come across as pretty clumsy and likely to be counterproductive) seems to mainly revolve around his choice of "pedophilia" as a crime to compare animal slaughter with. Whereas no-one seems to get upset over 30 years of him stating a view that Meat = Murder.

Seems a little odd, like there's a league table of crimes, some of which (i.e. murder) are okay to compare meat production with, while others (i.e. child abuse) are obviously way too serious to be used to make the same kind of comparison. Probably says something about the psychology of our cultural views and values that murder seems to be more acceptable/less abhorrent. Perhaps it's Agatha Christie's fault.

Someone needs to sexually violate morrissey brutally and then force feed him a angus burger and ask him if they're the same thing.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index