81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2014, 19:20
Re: Morrissey...at it again (again)
Jan 06, 2014, 19:08
Well I don't give too much of a shit about Morrissey, if truth be told. He has one of those voices that can completely suck the melody out of any song he's singing on. Vegetarianism and veganism are close to my heart, though. I remember once being given an intensive grilling by all the colleagues at a job I'd just started. One dude, who eats meat and later ended up being one of my best friends, saw I was desperately trying to disappear into my seat and actually posited the exact same metaphor as Morrissey. The whole crowd stopped giving me shit there and then and I could have hugged him. I myself probably wouldn't say it in person, mostly because I've fucking had it up to here, wherever here is, of having to explain myself to self-righteous carnies (yes, they tend to be the self-righteous ones). I do think actively ending an animal's life is almost as bad as potentially fucking up a human's life. All abhorrent, but one stings more because we can relate more to the victim; they're easier to empathise with, being a few steps closer to ourselves. Despite what people seem to be thinking, exercising empathy for a species not your own is not actually the same thing as engaging in paedophilia yourself.

ETA: By the way, I also acknowledge the slight possibility that the world is not topsy-turvy and I'm the crazy one. :D

ETA 2: I also think simile and metaphor should be strictly confined to creative writing. They never quite gel when it comes to morality, politics and philosophy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index