Unsung Forum »
Morrissey...at it again (again)

81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Morrissey...at it again (again)
Jan 05, 2014, 13:38
I think you're making good points except I really don't think the Moz comments are as well conceived or even as surgically intentioned as that.

The thing that, over the last few years, Morrissey's pronouncements have morphed from being wittily provocative to clumsy, sledgehammer out-rage almost in inverse proportion to his status and relevance as a music icon, and for the record, I'm saying that as a fan of most of his work. There is something of an "I'm still here and I've still got it" turning up of the volume in what he says and how he says it, which I think, ultimately does disservice to both him, possibly his career (which is where, I wonder?) and the causes he is most passionate about. More often than not, Moz can come across as boiling complex issues down to "People that don't agree with me are EVIL!" which is not only clumsily simplistic but worryingly narcissistic.
For someone that could espouse his thoughts on all sorts of things with an appealing humour and playful linguistic flair both in song and prose, it's a bit disappointing (and boring frankly) to now routinely see him resorting to what are essentially tabloidesque (Meat eaters are like Paedophiles! Picture that on the cover of a red top) outbursts of 'moral' indignation and bile.

Seriously, I do find it darkly amusing that Moz now seems to, tactically (obviously not ideologically!!), operate with a similar modus operandi to Ted Nugent!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index