animal rights campaigners jailed

68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 27, 2009, 12:46
I have'nt really followed this thread, yet I'm on the side of animal activists, extreme behaviour is at the end of the scale but has decent results that actually make people think. I start from the premise that animals have rights of equality with the human species and that has thinking beings we should legislate and protect.
Three campaigns that I became involved in have now reached a greater understanding of what we do to animals.
The first was years ago, beagles that were bred in factory farms, forced to smoke to see what effect it had on their lungs! The second was battery hens; travelling behind an open lorry one day, there were pallets of what I thought were dead chickens, but one pallet fell to the road and shed its load, and I realised the chickens were all alive, I was just witnessing a complete disregard for the suffering of other creatures - we are now on the way with free range chickens and eggs.
The last was badger baiting, (setting dogs on badgers,) a particularly cruel sport as it involves setting one animal against another till death is achieved - again legislation was brought into affect to outlaw it.
I still cannot argue against all animal experimentation because my son is insulin dependent and would benefit from stem cell research.... but what I would argue is that morally and ethically we should recognise our power to cause pain to other species on this earth and that they have equal rights to our compassion...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index