pooley
501 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 22, 2009, 15:31
Popel Vooje wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
pooley wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
No abuse for this direction - but unlike you, I sympathise with the jailed campaigners. When it comes to the issue of animal research, the law is hugely weighted in favour of the drug companies who fund it, and contrary to the self-serving propoganda perpetrated by these companies, most of it is of no measurable benefit to the human race at all.

Property desctruction is necessary evil in order to publicise the issue and penetrate the veil of secrecy that surrounds animal testing - if there was nothing to hide, there'd be no need for secrecy. But why do you think no-one is allowed inside animal labs other than the people who work there ? We're told such regulations exist in order to protect the safety of the researchers, but I smell bullshit there from the get-go.

Property destruction is not a necessary evil in order to publicise the issue. You would be hard pressed to find anyone that does not know about it, and fairly hard pressed to find someone that doesn't object to it.
This issue is a prime example of something that is allowed to continue through publis apathy. We all hate it, we all think it should stop

I disagree. On a site like this with a predominantly liberal, eco-friendly slant, perhaps we all hate it and think it should stop, but in my experience the vast majority of people out there couldn't care less. Even amongst people I know whose views are to the left of Tony Benn on most other issues still think animal suffering is a frivolous subject which only mollycoddled do-gooders can afford to give a damn about.

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to argue otherwise even with people whose views I respect on just about every other point on the scale. A former bass player friend whose acquaintance I have happily let slip - mainly because he's now earning shitloads and has become, quite frankly, a yuppie bore - has just taken up fox-hunting, for fecks' sake. And we're talking about someone who recycles, doesn't vote Tory, shares the same musical tastes (ie prog rock) as a good deal of the folk over on Unsung - not some Telehgraph-reading, Chardonnet-swilling, hooray-harry aristo thug.

Surely saying that you would be fairly hard pressed to find someone that doesn't object to vivsection, and yet it is allowed to continue through public apathy is a self-contradictory argument? If people really cared enough about it, it wouldn't be allowed to happen - end of story.

What I meant, popel, was that a huge majority of people hate animal cruelty, but lack the gumption (for want of a better word) to do anything about it. You have to make it easy for them to complain and vote against it, and socially unacceptable for them to allow it to continue.
Anything that gives the drug comapnies the opportunity to come across as the injured party is wrong. And those idiots, who are justly imprisoned, have done us no favours.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index