Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2009, 13:20
Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 22, 2009, 13:19
handofdave wrote:

Lately I've noticed that there seems to be a trend towards peaceful protests being hijacked by reckless types, tho. The protests in Oakland California over the shooting of a man in the back started out peaceful, but ended up violent, and a lot of property owners who had nothing at all to do with that crime were hit.

Speaking as someone with first hand experience of stuff kicking off I can assure you that this attitude, although prevalent for the last 40 odd years of protest, is a myth. Seriously, I'd try and find someone who was actually there to talk to about it, 99/100 the Police fuck it up first. I'm not kidding here.

Sure, there may be, and usually is a small group of people who turn up for a fight. However, if the majority of the protestors aren't interested in a fight then these people tend to get left naturally exposed by the crowd, and then usually get snatched by the coppers and noone weeps for them. Of course, if the police kick it off (the usual way they do it here in the UK is by blocking all exits and then telling you over a megaphone to disperse) then these 'I came for a fight' types get to run wild for a while. Usually behind the peaceful protestors throwing bricks, which land on us at the front line. I'm not a fan of them but....

A 'violent protestor' is, by far, usually a 'peaceful protestor' whose internal fight or flee circuit switched to fight once the tear gas and clubs rained in. Sometimes you flee, sometimes you snap and go 'fuck it then' and you stand and fight. which way you respond at the time is not something you can predict. Likewise you should not be judged for how you reacted in that extreme enviroment, at all, one way or the other.

I also really hate calling these animal rights protestors, 'protestors'. It insults real protestors. These people were using organised terror tactics, they are terrorists. They did not want to rationally protest, they wanted to terrify everyone working in the research establishments, or unwittingly working for other companies that may supply them, into quitting their jobs and hiding. This is very, very different to normal protest.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index