68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 25, 2009, 20:07
stray wrote:
Also if your impossible vision did come true, and we did in fact create perfect virtual models of human beings then how could we distinguish them actually from human beings ? Surely if they were perfect then they would have a conciousness. The human mind, as we know, does play a large part in how our body reacts and therefore must also be perfectly modeled. Therefore, we've created humans, without organs and flesh, but philosophically they would be humans nonetheless.

So, how would experimenting on them be anymore ethical ?

And there we have it. Animal testing is a compromise we make because experimenting on people is too repulsive to anyone other than a Joseph Mengele.

I'm afraid you did go over my head with that last post, a little, tho I do grasp the basic point you're making, re: Mathematics has its limits in modeling complex systems (the ever-exponentially-massive number of variables thing. I think?).

But basically I think we're on the same page. Not all animals or people respond to a drug trial the same way. So researchers do many trials and come up with a best guess as to how the drug will work on MOST people.

Getting back to the original subject, if we can arrive at more or less the same conclusions with a computer model, to narrow down the initial phase of the study, and THEN do live trials, it would cut down on the number of animals sacrificed.

I'm not suggesting that there's a one stop solution to this problem via a 'virtual human'.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index