68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 22, 2009, 13:11
stray wrote:
hmm.. Theres a big difference between what these protestors did and what happens in a riot though. Riots don't tend to be premeditated events, they're a sudden violent outburst.

Edit : Also, from the riots I've found myself in, I don't think the issues themselves were actually marginalised by the violence. In fact in all cases it has been a given that if it wasn't for the protest kicking off the issue wouldn't have attracted the media attention it did.

Saying that, I'm talking of spontaneous violence, usually caused by heavy handed policing. I have no time for the actions of these animal rights protestors.

hey, would you believe it? we agree (mainly) on summit.

I would, however, add a few comments.
Issues not marginalised by the violence. I don't quite go with you on this one. I agree that if an issue is constantly ignored then action is required to put it in the publics face. It's what that action is that is hard to get right.

An example is the third runway at heathrow - I've talked about this before on here -the protesters that occupied stanstead did nothing to win over the public towards there cause. Green peace buying land needed to build a third runway did. Both are direct action, one alienates the other makes people on both sides of the arument stand up and take notice. And it actually has an effect on the outcome of what is being protested about.

Heavy handed police - yeah, we've all seen 'em. Bastards in jack bo0ots just waiting to give some unwashed a kicking. Hate that type of copper.
I have also seen protesters throw bricks, bottles at Police, and then back off so some innocent, less radical, protester gets a arrested forcefully - said bottle thrower then complains about police bruatlity on innocent protesters. both sides have dirty tricks
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index