68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: animal rights campaigners jailed
Jan 22, 2009, 13:05
stray wrote:
hmm.. Theres a big difference between what these protestors did and what happens in a riot though. Riots don't tend to be premeditated events, they're a sudden violent outburst.

Lately I've noticed that there seems to be a trend towards peaceful protests being hijacked by reckless types, tho. The protests in Oakland California over the shooting of a man in the back started out peaceful, but ended up violent, and a lot of property owners who had nothing at all to do with that crime were hit.

I don't know what can be done when outrage explodes outside of any organized control, but who gets hurt is usually the family and neighbors of the people who rampage. The LA riots after the aquittal of the cops that beat Rodney King only served to wreck the neighborhoods of the people living in them. Consequently, economics of those areas took a huge nosedive. There were even innocents who were dragged out of cars and attacked... proxy targets for the rioter's rage.

There's little that a focused organization can do about rogue elements who take advantage of a protest to bust things up and go on looting sprees. I am just a bit alarmed that some otherwise very sensible people get caught up in what I can only surmise is a 'romantic' notion of street rage... a kind of nostalgia for the trappings of revolution.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index